Nothing tastes better than freshly baked banana bread for a healthy breakfast.
- ½ cup honey (It is healthier than sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil or high quality vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
Mix ins; ½ cup mix-ins chopped nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit or fresh banana slices.
Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk then add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Stir in the flour, just until combined. If it forms lumps it is still okay.
If you want to add the mix in’s, you can add them at this point.
Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for at least 10 minutes. You may need to run a butter knife around the edges to loosen the bread from the pan.
Carefully transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool before slicing.
Enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate, coffee or milk.