Several years ago, my friend Maggie Savage of She Let Them Eat Cake shared this nutritious recipe for dairy-free chocolate frosties. Unlike Wendy’s popular shake, these blends are free of dairy, and made with only plant-based, whole food ingredients. They’re even sweetened with dates!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosties made Purely Plant-Based
They might sound to healthy to be good, but Maggie assures us that this recipe is also kid approved.
For Mother’s Day, making dessert with my daughter, Livvie, is always fun, but it’s even more rewarding when I know that we’re whipping up something nutritious. This recipe fits the bill, and is an indulgent “milkshake meets ice cream” kind of treat. Livvie and I also used this “fRAWsties” recipe to make fudgesicles and oh my raw goodness, they were like fudgesicles! Except that they are free of cow’s milk AND added sugars.
And don’t let the photos give you the wrong impression. Maggie typically makes her dairy-free chocolate frosties without coconut. We’ve included lite coconut and coconut-free options with the recipe.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosties
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosties
Author: Maggie Savage
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 5 medjool dates, soaked to hydrate and pitted
- 1 cup ice (7 to 8 cubes)
- 1 tablespoon lite coconut milk or water, plus more as needed
- Drain and rinse the cashews after soaking.
- Add the soaked cashews, cocoa, dates, ice, and 1 tablespoon coconut milk or water to your blender, and process until it reaches desired consistency. If needed, add more water or lite coconut milk to get things moving.
Mocha Option: Substitute coffee for the water / coconut milk.
Serving size: ½ batch Calories: 379 Fat: 16.6g Saturated fat: 3.6g Carbohydrates: 58.8g Sugar: 40.1g Sodium: 7mg Fiber: 6.9g Protein: 8.3g
More Healthier Dairy-Free Milkshake Recipes