A spiced, decadent crowd-pleaser.
“When I make a vegan bake, I don’t want to compromise on flavour or texture, and these cookies are a lovely example of that,” explains Chetna Makan.
“The delicate flavour of cardamom and the richness of dark chocolate and pistachios means these are a riot in every mouthful.”
- 120g vegan butter, softened
- 170g light, soft, brown sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 275g plain flour
- 1½tsp ground cardamom
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 70ml almond milk
- 300g vegan dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 60g pistachios, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Put the butter in a bowl with the sugar and salt and beat it together with an electric whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Sift the plain flour into another bowl with the cardamom, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix it together.
- Add the milk to the butter bowl followed by the flour mixture and then add the chocolate and pistachios. Fold it all in and bring it together into a soft dough.
- Take a lemon-sized portion, shape it into a circle and place on a prepared sheet. Repeat to form all the cookies, leaving enough room between them for the cookies to spread when baked.
- Bake for 15 minutes and let them sit on the tray for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for three to four days.
Chetna’s Easy Baking by Chetna Makan is published by Hamlyn. Photography by Nassima Rothacker. Available now.